Skip to main content

What Winter Teaches us About Creativity


The holidays are over, and winter has hit us full force. I've already had enough of the snow, but this year I'm really trying to make good use of the time indoors. I have many projects and techniques on my mind to explore in my own art, both digital and mixed media. Practice makes perfect, or at least it improves technique and opens us up to more ideas. Being inside in the winter is a time of contemplation too. I am reading more and considering the happenings in my life and the world around me with more detail.

I heard on a recent news show that in economic and political times such as the one we are in, many people become more reflective on the nature of issues around them and their own beliefs. At times like these people do not want to settle for the status quo. I think I saw proof of that on a discussion that may still be brewing on a Linkedin group's discussion board.

The question posted asked whether or not creativity could be taught. To me the answer that came to my mind immediately was "no it can't be taught, we all have it!" Many, many people responded and the answers were all over the place as to whether creativity was a teachable subject.

I believe that creativity itself cannot be taught, as many on the discussion board mentioned, we all have it within us. The steps to inspire creativity can be taught. How to cultivate or "unleash" your creativity can be taught. As a creative professional with experience in B2B, B2C, Non-profits, and the Visual Arts I've seen how creativity can be used in all steps of a successful business or organization. I've also seen how creativity can be lost and the absence of it can lead to an unsuccessful business or department. Those that may have lost it may need reminders or lessons in new techniques to inspire them. It's important to keep doing what ever it takes to keep our creative sides active, if that means taking lessons on how to unleash our creativity, I highly encourage it, because the sources will constantly be changing throughout our lives.

As a docent at the Akron Art Museum I see how the many creative styles of expressions found in different visual art genres (think photography, fiber arts, painting, assemblage, sculpture, etc.) inspire each visitor in their own unique way. There is not one method or one lesson plan that can teach a person about his or her inspiration. Visual cues one visitor finds in an exhibit can be completely uninteresting to the next visitor. Their interest is based on their own environment, culture and history. I encourage you to take a group tour to your own local museum, and see how the crowd interacts with the docent to get an idea of how broad this creative inspiration is. I'm only talking about visual inspirations, add your other senses and imagine how broad a range of creative ideas this will inspire. This is creativity that can be used in medicine, politics, and engineering to name a few. Proof to me that you cannot develop a lesson plan to teach creativity, but you certainly can teach ways to inspire.

So as I stay warm inside pondering what new forms of creativity I can unleash, I wonder how many more of you are doing the same? How important do you see creativity as a part of your everyday life, and how many feel they need some lessons or inspiration to unleash it?

* Photo by Janet Pahlau

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time to Read Mo Books

When someone starts to say "I will.." in my household, someone else usually follows with "...eat the ice cream!" We're immersed in a new creative world, children's literature and cartoons. The past few weeks the designer in me is geeking out over Mo Willems' Elephant and Piggie series. Our first book, "Should I Share My Ice Cream," was a gift. A well read over and over and over gift! Then Santa brought our household a second Elephant and Piggie book, "Waiting is not Easy." Now I'm hooked! Gerald (Elephant's actual name) and Piggie are funny and cute. But it's not just that, the design elements woven into the book help to tell the story. Storytelling, ahhh, the product of all good design! Gerald and Piggie are very simplified characters, and I've come to appreciate simplified illustrations I had overlooked in the past. The simplification helps focus on the characters' situations and emotions, which the stories re

Dear Foo Fighters

We are so sorry for the loss of Taylor. And while you, his family and friends are hit the hardest, it has deeply hit us fans too. For many of us you have been the soundtrack to our lives. Your songs supported us as we hit the hardest and life-changing moments of our lives. Then your songs cheered us on with bounding rhythms as we moved onto happier lifetime moments. We’ve bought and listened to your CDs on repeat. We’ve attended concerts anxiously awaiting that rhythm that escalates into All My Life , or the slowly building glorious entrance of Everlong into fall out rock song. And if we’re lucky - maybe this show - it will be the return of For All the Cows .  You’ve been our muse at work inspiring our creativity. Our companion on long commutes, and our work safe haven, blocking out the chatter for deep focus. You’ve kept us company in hospital stays, and had preschoolers bouncing to your rhythms for their "F" show and share days. You've signed autographs, taken ph

Akron's Innovative Chihuly Rock Candy Sculpture

The city of Akron is known globally for its innovation. During the height of Industrial rubber production Akron was the home to headquarters for the B.F. Goodrich Company, the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, and the Firestone Tire and Rubber Company. Akron has also shown innovation in the art world. One look at the convergence of old and new architecture at the Akron Art Museum will show that Akron's art patrons can appreciate innovation. On the campus of the University of Akron, you'll find a sparkling blue polymer sculpture bringing innovation to public art. The sculpture is by famed glass artist Dale Chihuly. Highlighted by the reflective Goodyear Polymer Center, Chihuly's sculpture attracts the attention of many visitors. You're almost certain to see someone gazing up at the blue "rock candy," as I've heard it referred to on more than one occasion. The idea for the sculpture was a collaboration that symbolized the university's polymer pioneering